Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Servitude of Faith

The Servitude of Faith

James 1:1a “James, a bondservant….”

Most of the other New Testament writers at one place or another identify themselves with this word, “bondservant” (δοῦλος – doulos – in the Greek – see Romans 1:1; 2 Peter 1:1; Jude 1:1). In the first century, this word was the common word used to describe involuntary, permanent servitude (see MacArthur’s Study Bible note for Romans 1:1), and this word became the most common title adopted by the leaders in the early church for identifying their relationship to Jesus Christ. For James, this relationship as Jesus’ slave is particularly poignant.
James was related to Jesus in many ways.

  • He was Jesus’ natural half-brother as was Jude.
  • He was Jesus’ spiritual brother as all believers are.
  • He was the adopted son of God again as all believers are.
  • He was a true son of Abraham as Zacchaeus and Paul were.
  • He was the friend of Jesus as we all are.
  • He was a recognized apostle and leader of Christ’s congregation in Jerusalem.

Yet with all these relationship and titles, James chose to be known principally as Jesus’ slave.

How is it we cannot seem to find a place in our theology and orthodoxy for the servitude of faith? As believers, we confess Jesus as Lord – kurios – but it becomes a title without meaning. We soon add restrictions to the level and extent of our service for Him.

I have searched the Internet, and I found nothing that related faith in Jesus Christ with servitude. When the word slavery is used in a Christian sense, it is always linked with physical slavery and abolition, but the term "slavery" is never used to describe the believer’s relationship to Jesus. We spend much ink and effort proclaiming Christian liberty and freedom, but nowhere do we equate our professed submission to the Lordship of Jesus Christ with the reality and humility of being His purchased slave.

This, by the way, is all too autobiographical!

First, where do I start with true “slave-ship” – servitude for You, my Lord? How do I move from occasional service to total service? That leads me to another question – Have I been so long in this “limitedly faithful” group that I cannot step beyond that?

4 comments:

  1. Rick,

    Does this web page allow me to sign up so that I can read your new blogs as they are written by sending me an email? or do I need to check every day?

    LV

    ReplyDelete
  2. LV, I have saved my setting where you should be able to sign up. Let me know if it works. I have other posts ready to go, but I'm waiting to see how this is recieved.
    rjp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick,
    I am so impressed that I forwarded it to my Pastor.
    rjp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, Iam so impressed that I forwarded this to my Pastor.
    djp

    ReplyDelete