Monday, February 27, 2012

Are You Family?



Luke 8:19-21
19 Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd.
 20 And he was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, desiring to see you.” 21 But he answered them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.”

On the surface from our smug and secure 21st Century view this response from Jesus seems a bit odd – even a bit unfeeling.  Jesus’ mother and brothers came to Him were unable to get through the crowd.  When Jesus was told that His family was waiting to see Him, He replied, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.”

I must first remind myself of the context in which this incident is placed.  Jesus has told the parable of the soils and followed that with another parable to emphasize and illustrate how important it is to be diligent with the specific and personal revelation that Jesus has given to each of us.  Jesus is showing that familial relationships do not transcend directly from nature into spiritual relationships, and that true spiritual relationships with Jesus Christ are based on obedience to His word.

This note from Dr. John MacArthur’s Study Bible with regard to this passage explains what I mean.

“… true Christian discipleship… involves a spiritual relationship that transcends the physical family and is open to all who are empowered by the Spirit of God to come to Christ in repentance and faith and enabled to live a life of obedience to God’s Word.”

Obedience to God’s Word is the mark of our relationship with Jesus Christ, not the cause.  If I am obedient to His Word, it is not to become what I am not but because of what I am.  Being deliberately Christian is not an effort to become Christian but a desire to live up to what I am and profess to be.

Coram deo
Final note - I added a picture of my dad and me from May 2010.  Acorns don't fall far from the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment