Friday, December 9, 2011

Faith – Real and Visible



Luke 5:20 makes a simple but profound statement regarding faith.  The text reads, “and when He [Jesus] saw their faith….”  This one phrase presents incredible insights into the essence of faith.

1.       It presents the definition of faith.

 Faith is the conviction of truth that governs one’s actions regardless of the cost or consequences. 

2.       Faith’s object is its reality.

The object of one’s faith is what governs the actions that result.  In this case, the object of their faith was Jesus Christ, so in the Christian context, the definition of faith flows from one’s conviction of the truth of God’s Word.

3.       Faith is visible in one’s behavior. 

In other words, what one believes will be displayed in his choices, attitudes, and actions.  Regardless of what that core faith may be, it will be ultimately presented in behaviors.

4.       Crisis situations often display one’s faith most clearly. 

Let me change to first person here for emphasis.  In my experience, I have found that I can fake or affect a behavior to appear to believe something when I do not.  We call that hypocrisy, and I am not alone in that experience.  I make that confession, but I also make that as an accusation.  How we act in a crisis or under stress is the truest revelation of our faith.

5.       One’s faith is always on display, and someone is always watching.

Having said that, I ask the questions:

·         What does my behavior demonstrate of my faith especially at this Christmas season? 

·         How do I react to the pressures of a secularized, commercialized Christmas?

·         What Jesus Christ does my Christmas celebration represent?

No comments:

Post a Comment