Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Shifting Meaning of Chruch Words

I am convinced that the definitions of words govern our understanding and behavior.  I have come to see that displayed as I read the history of the Christian church and as I compare what I have observed and experienced in my own life across the last forty-five years.  I see a stark difference between how our ancestors understood and responded to the Bible and what is understood and lived by Christians today.  Though the verbal expressions of Christian faith and practice use the same words, the resulting behaviors and relationships are remarkably different.

Not only has the accepted definitions of important doctrinal words shifted, Christians today use what can be called “church words” with little or no understanding of what the words actually mean.  I have found very few of the believers in my own church can define the very words they use all the time.

Here is a partial list of the words of which I speak:

1.       Grace

2.       Love

3.       Faith

4.       Worship

5.       Hope

6.       Joy

7.       Peace

My goal is to work my way through these and see where that may lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment