Tuesday, December 6, 2011

True Prayer or Hypocritical

“If You will, You can….”  Luke 5:12

This verse condenses prayer to four Greek words translated, “Lord, if You are willing, You can…” – Κύριε ἐὰν θέλῃς δύνασαί  (NKJV).  In all of my life and experience, prayer comes down to the same expression, simply “Lord, if You will, You can.”

The other side of that expression is just as important and complete.  When I say to the Lord, “if You will, You  can,” I am also saying, “no matter how hard I try, I cannot.”  The great cry of my humanity and experience of failure is, “You can; I cannot!”

I wonder how much of my prayers , however, go unanswered because I have not come to the conviction that, “I cannot.”  Until I am truly convinced that I cannot, I am hypocritical or lazy or both when I pray, “If You will, You can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment