Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fresh Insight to an Old Problem



 
Last night, I finished reading James Barry Babb’s book, Post Cards From Another Gospel.  This was for me a profoundly insightful and at the same time unsettling book.  When I read books and articles that point out the divergence between the biblical gospel message and the contemporary message of the church, my first reaction is to see problems in areas of the church in general while ignoring the problems that might be my own.  This is the familiar mote and beam problem from Luke 6:41-42.
As a result, however, of Babb’s book, I have been forced to look at my own life and message in the stark light of historical biblical truth.  Among the many things that I found important to me, two in particular stand out.

1.      Moralistic Therapeutic Deism – Though I deny it’s tenets on every level, this “de facto-theology” has begun to influence my life and what I teach.  Deism is a heresy, but in practical, everyday ways I have begun to live as if Jesus Christ may not be involved in the details of my life.  I tend to become so focused on myself and so much in control of what I do and its results that I excuse God to go elsewhere and help those in real need of divine influence.

In this, I know I am not alone!  Heaven help us!

2.      Grace of Repentance – Knowing that grace is the enablement and motivation of a sovereign God given to us to accomplish His work, I seldom connect that grace with my own personal need to repent.  That problem may come from my own tendency to see sin, especially my own sin, as less important and less “sinful” that it really is.

What I discovered is, however, that the application and teaching of repentance is vital for both genuine salvation and effective spiritual growth in grace.

Those of us who seek to call ourselves by the name of Christ must daily devote ourselves to personal repentance or we will find that unconfessed sin creeps in and strangles the power of the Holy Spirit in our personal lives and in our churches.

Remember, the parable of Jesus about the mote and the plank in the eye was spoken to His disciples.
Coram deo

No comments:

Post a Comment